List:       kde-print
Subject:    Re: server restart loses printer instances and settings
From:       "Kurt Pfeifle" <kpfeifle () danka ! de>
Date:       2002-06-18 13:13:50

Achim Bohnet wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 June 2002 12:15, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>
>>Michael Goffioul wrote:

>>>I changed some things this weekend that should solve that problem.
>>>When the server is restarted/configured, no error message appear anymore
>>>(within 5s, which should be enough for the server to restart), and the
>>>instances should be correctly reloaded.
>>>The changes should also prevent the manager (and any other KDE app)
>>>to hang when the CUPS server is misconfigured (the problem you had,
>>>Kurt).
>>>
>>>It's commited on the CVS (HEAD). Try it if you have the opportunity.
>>>
>>OK -- after a lot of difficulties I recompiled: it doesn't work.
>>When "kprinter" is switched to CUPS (here now 1.1.15 -- also not fully
>>tested), there comes the little splash screen, and then
>>

>>   "An error occurred while retrieving the printer list:
>>
>>    Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS
>>    server is correctly installed and running. Error: connection refused."
>>

> I only get this when the cups server is stopped (HEAD build from scratch
> last night).  I've tried with cups 1.1.14 and 15 servers (lon my laptop it's 1.1.14).

So it works for you?

>>No printers are loaded in the dialog drop-down list....
>>

> What's the procedure to reproduce it?

I have both, CUPS 1.1.14 + 1.1.15 tried. I have different KDE users on my
system: kdehead is using a complete KDE_HEAD environment, kde4 is using
KDE_3_3_BRANCH, kurt is using KDE-3.0.1 (as released by SuSE).

   CUPS is running, you can access printers via Web interface.
   kprinter for user kurt works
   kprinter for users kde4 and kdehead shows the behaviour as described...