List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] hi everybody !
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-08 11:43:18

On Friday 06 July 2001 16:31, Christopher Molnar wrote:
> No, and the response I (and others) get every time we mention it is
> exactly the responses you have seen here... "we don't need it", "who
> needs it in one program", "there are several apps that do the same
> thing", etc.....

These are separate issues. Integrating Mail/Calendar/Addressbook into
one app with one main window like Outlook has nothing to do with a
calendar server.

An Outlook-like app might be attractive to many users, but I'm not sure
what kind of interoperability users expect from such an app other than
the integration in one window. If you could provide us with some use
cases, we perhaps could develop a much clearer idea, what is required
in terms of development.

The calendar server is different. People want group scheduling and a
server is one way to achieve this. There are other ways as well and
it's quite clear what is required to implement it. The problem is that
there is no open source calendar server and writing one is way too much
work for the developers currently working on the kde-pim apps. Ideas
how to solve that problem are welcome.

> No-one seems to realize that the developers can not dictate what a
> company or client is going to use. They want an exchange like
> environment. They have one, they are not going to change.

Don't forget that this is open source. Developers don't want to dictate
who is going to use what, but they are free to decide what they are
working on and an Outlook clone doesn't have a high priority at the
moment. Of course you are free to change that by contributing the code
;-).