List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: How this all fits in Mike's scheme
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2001-06-15 15:34:55

On Friday 15 June 2001 17:10, Olaf Zanger wrote:

> that's about where my thinking differs. i don't think too much in a
> specialized "kde-pim-server" but in a generalized "syncing structure" AND
> "data storage" for ALL (kde-)apps.

(Sorry for jumping in again on something I don't have anything to do with,
but...)

Please don't take it the wrong way, but this smells awfully like another
Mozilla in the making. I've never, ever seen a project aiming to be a
"generalized solution for <your favourite vast problem here>" turn out into
something actually useful or even useable.

Even worse since syncing is an incredibly complex problem. Data can be
modified on both ends, and when there's a conflict there is no generalized
way to sort it out, it's always specific to which kind of data you're dealing
with and what is its format.

--
Guillaume
http://www.telegraph-road.org