List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: How this all fits in Mike's scheme
From:       Olaf Zanger <olaf.zanger () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-06-15 15:10:01

> Hearts stats, which I may want to keep consistent between my Pilot and KDE,
> needn't go in the PIM server (though they might, if we decide that high
> scores are PI)].
that's about where my thinking differs. i don't think too much in a specialized
"kde-pim-server" but in a generalized "syncing structure" AND "data storage" for ALL
(kde-)apps.

the reason:
it is not only PDAs, Mobile Phones and laptop but about every device that is not
online for the whole working time (maybe someday that is not a question anymore :-¦
but we are far off this date).

so data are stored at places like:
[1] Mobile Phone,
[2] PDA,
[3] Workstation at Work,
[4] Server at SOHO (remote working),
[5] Server at Work,
[6] Desktop at home,

eks is supposed to hit all that in an online-intenet-appliance structure.
 * the eks-system therefor is only for the online-work time. that is the reason why i
search for a system-structure that can access all types of data transparently via
conduits (pst-file2xml, pgsql2xml, ...).
 * a ksync-system would have to deal with the syncing for the offline-work time. the
ksync-system would have to deal with the "which-data", "how-often", "where-to" and so
on.

so in the middle of all this would have to be a information-broker that has conduits
to the data storage and to the apps.

this information-broker would be a data-type translation deamon. in the easiest case
it would tell the asking app that the data are in kword-xml format. the app might
have a import filter for that and load the stuff through information-broker without
any changes

since all koffice documents are saved in xml there have to be filters for
xml-msoffice anyway, so why not doing this straight in an information broker.

the same applies to kandy, kpilot, korganizer and all the others.

this information-broker would allow a app to ask e.g.

Q1: please can i have a list of all data that have been changed since 2001-04-02?
A1: information-broker searches the database and the filesystem with koffice files.

Q2: kpilot: please information-broker give me all text documents that are marked for
syncing to pda in palm-pilot format?
A2: information-broker searches on [1-6] depending on actual access to the
data-repository and the users wishes

Q3: korganizer: i want all events interesting for the business trip to spain for from
the spanish holiday calendar, the users business and privat events, and workgroup
events in my format. after that kpilot syncs them to the pda.
A3: information-broker accesses kde-spain holidays and/or a UDDI/XML-RPC repository.
the user business events come from the server, the privat events from the soho-server
the.

Q4: sync all beatles mp3 from the home-gateway to the pda?
A4: well easy :-)

well, crazy? hopefully not. so suddenly this information-broker is the "kontroller"
or "keeper" (and part of it does the business of the "kde-pim-server"

now the big thing is:
keep it simple
keep it easy to extend with new conduits (kio-slave like system)
it has to grow with the current kde-work
apps might keep some legacy abilites

please comment

--
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Olaf Marc Zanger