List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: How this all fits in Mike's scheme
From:       Nick Papadonis <npapadon () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-06-15 16:52:33

Guillaume Laurent <glaurent@telegraph-road.org> writes:

> On Friday 15 June 2001 17:10, Olaf Zanger wrote:
>
> > that's about where my thinking differs. i don't think too much in a
> > specialized "kde-pim-server" but in a generalized "syncing structure" AND
> > "data storage" for ALL (kde-)apps.
>
> (Sorry for jumping in again on something I don't have anything to do with,
> but...)
>
> Please don't take it the wrong way, but this smells awfully like another
> Mozilla in the making. I've never, ever seen a project aiming to be a
> "generalized solution for <your favourite vast problem here>" turn out into
> something actually useful or even useable.
>
> Even worse since syncing is an incredibly complex problem. Data can be
> modified on both ends, and when there's a conflict there is no generalized
> way to sort it out, it's always specific to which kind of data you're dealing
> with and what is its format.

In no way is this taken the wrong way.  I assume you have insight into
our problems.  If you have read the design documents and ideas
floating, it would be great if you could comment on specifics.  Any
ideas will help us get this stuff together quicker.

Maybe my thoughts on synchronization are off.  I thought we would have
independent daemons for each device and a centralized PIM server to
access the DB backend?

Having indepepent daemons would create a specific method of
synchronization for data at boths ends.  No?

--
Nick