List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: Need for a general purpose database in KDE (maybe kab)
From:       Mirko Sucker <mirko.sucker () unibw-hamburg ! de>
Date:       1999-07-15 18:41:15

Rik Hemsley wrote:

> Are you saying that it would be excessively hard work to create an
extensible
> addressbook format if storing the addressbook within a database ?

It is hard if you
1. do not want to fix the design to a specific database,
2. need to be able to handle different evolutionary versions of the
program.

But the real problem is that I think it is definitly neede to support
MORE THAN
ONE database backend, like in the drafdt I posted: lokal databases,
LDAP, LDIF,
You have to find something that uses all of these interfaces as widely
as
possible.

And, by reviewing this thread, you see that choosing a database is a
matter of
religion.

> > Sorry, guys, but most of what you discuss here has been discussed
over a
> > long time. See the "What database" thread in the mailing list
archives and
> > much more. Please do not expect this job to be standard database
development,
> > much stuff is a matter of taste, and sometimes it is hard really
code what all
> > people want.
>
> I did follow that thread. I don't think the design of KDE's
addressbook should
> follow the as yet unwritten design of a general KDE database storage
backend.

The design should be database independant, and currently it is for kab
II.

> > What I want to say is:
> > Lets start the project kde-pim, but do not estimate a early time
when it
> > should
> > be finished. Go create a REAL GOOD DATABASE DESIGN. And implement
it.

> kde-pim has been going a long time now. It started when I began
writing Empath
> last November. We've now got a mail client that uses Maildir and will
be
> easy to map a CORBA interface to. We also have (two!) excellent rfc822
message
> parsing libraries, a vCard library and an LDIF library.
>
> As for designing a database, I presume you mean designing an API for a
database
> backend, or do you mean designing a structure for kab records ? I'm
trying
> to design a record structure that allows for extension records and
value types
> right now.

Currently the design of kab II is middleware, it provide interfaces to
plug
databases
to it and interface for accessing the databases from the applications.

Greetings,
--Mirko.

--
Denn der  Mensch  liebt und ehrt den  Menschen,  solange er ihn
nicht zu beurteilen vermag, und die Sehnsucht ist ein Erzeugnis