Rik Hemsley wrote: > Are you saying that it would be excessively hard work to create an extensible > addressbook format if storing the addressbook within a database ? It is hard if you 1. do not want to fix the design to a specific database, 2. need to be able to handle different evolutionary versions of the program. But the real problem is that I think it is definitly neede to support MORE THAN ONE database backend, like in the drafdt I posted: lokal databases, LDAP, LDIF, ... You have to find something that uses all of these interfaces as widely as possible. And, by reviewing this thread, you see that choosing a database is a matter of religion. > > Sorry, guys, but most of what you discuss here has been discussed over a > > long time. See the "What database" thread in the mailing list archives and > > much more. Please do not expect this job to be standard database development, > > much stuff is a matter of taste, and sometimes it is hard really code what all > > people want. > > I did follow that thread. I don't think the design of KDE's addressbook should > follow the as yet unwritten design of a general KDE database storage backend. The design should be database independant, and currently it is for kab II. > > What I want to say is: > > Lets start the project kde-pim, but do not estimate a early time when it > > should > > be finished. Go create a REAL GOOD DATABASE DESIGN. And implement it. > > kde-pim has been going a long time now. It started when I began writing Empath > last November. We've now got a mail client that uses Maildir and will be > easy to map a CORBA interface to. We also have (two!) excellent rfc822 message > parsing libraries, a vCard library and an LDIF library. > > As for designing a database, I presume you mean designing an API for a database > backend, or do you mean designing a structure for kab records ? I'm trying > to design a record structure that allows for extension records and value types > right now. Currently the design of kab II is middleware, it provide interfaces to plug databases to it and interface for accessing the databases from the applications. Greetings, --Mirko. -- Denn der Mensch liebt und ehrt den Menschen, solange er ihn nicht zu beurteilen vermag, und die Sehnsucht ist ein Erzeugnis mangelhafter Erkenntnis. (Thomas Mann)