List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: Need for a general purpose database in KDE (maybe kab)
From:       Don Sanders <dsanders () cch ! com ! au>
Date:       1999-07-16 0:23:38

Rik wrote:
> Would you agree that it would be advantageous to allow for local storage
> without a DB backend ? I think the principles seem pretty simple, considering
> what we're storing. We can make it safe by employing the same methods used
> for storing messages in a Maildir box and even index it in the same way.
Do you have time to elaborate on these methods? I'm interested in hearing more
about them. I mean under what conditions the non-Maildir approach is unsafe, how
to make it safe and about the indexing method. Perhaps a URL?

> Or ? Just require an LDAP server to be available ? OpenLDAP springs to
> mind.

LDAP support and a DB backend would/will be great but I think in the here and
now we need a PIM specific interface for accessing data like MS' CDO (did anyone
look at my previous post on this? If it was unclear I'm willing to try again)
and a non-scalable but easy to implement text file based backend.

BFN,
Don.