List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Marketing blocker collection, DEADLINE: 2013-03-10
From:       Martin Steigerwald <Martin () lichtvoll ! de>
Date:       2013-05-06 19:42:17

Hi Georg,

Am Sonntag, 3. M=E4rz 2013, 12:43:44 schrieb Georg C. F. Greve:
> Dear all,
> =

> True to tradition, we spent a good amount of time talking about when it
> would be time to go out and tell the world to give KDE PIM a try. At the
> sprint there was unanimous agreement it is time to dispend with this
> tradition.

Whats the current state with this marketing blocker collection?

I now switched to KDEPIM-2 and all I can say from my migration experience a=
nd =

the experience after migration KDEPIM-2 + Akonadi or more specifically KMai=
l-2 =

+ Akonadi are still quite rough for non test/debug/find-workaround-experien=
ced =

users.

I wouldn=B4t use it as a mail solution in a company right now for example.

And I think main show stopper are still correctness, consistency issues, =

unhelpful error messages / notifications during daily use - like mail canno=
t be =

moved or deleted with a maildir mail file name and no reason as to *why* or=
 way =

to fix it up.

I find it difficult to trust KDEPIM-2 with my data, although I think I foun=
d a =

POP3 setup that seems to work, but has some limitations like:

1) No automatic filtering at all.

2) No CRM114 spam filter rules, also not manually.

I know: No new issues after DEADLINE. But well, I just started to switch no=
w, =

and from my experience of the last two weeks I do think it was a wise decis=
ion =

of Debian Qt/KDE maintainers to still ship with KDEPIM 1. I reported more t=
han =

20 bugs and I still found some more during that time. Some might be minor, =
but =

others are correctness issues that make it difficult for me to trust the =

software.

Anyway I am fine with no new issues after DEADLINE, except for new bugs bei=
ng =

found that cause data loss.

I am also asking due to "kde-pim hopeless?" thread in kdepim-users. I do no=
t =

think it is. But I see that it has only few developers who work really hard=
. I =

think about how users can help, maybe some bug triaging. I try to isolate =

repeatable testcases for the gravest bugs I found as time permits. Testing =
and =

reproducing takes quite some time too.

Thanks,
-- =