List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Date/time handling changes in libkcal
From:       David Jarvie <lists () astrojar ! org ! uk>
Date:       2006-09-11 22:08:12

On Monday 11 September 2006 21:54, Allen Winter wrote:
> On Monday 11 September 2006 13:10, David Jarvie wrote:
> > As you will see from the two commit messages, I have now converted
> > libkcal to use KDateTime instead of QDateTime for handling date/time
> > values. This should enable applications to automatically handle time zone
> > changes and time zone shifts - something which will fix some
> > long-standing bugs for KOrganizer and KAlarm and possibly other
> > applications too.
>
> David,
>
> Are we now able to go into kdepimlibs and kdepim and replace all
> the deprecated functions?  I think we should remove the KDE_DEPRECATED
> functions as soon as possible.

I agree. I changed a lot of the calls in applications to use the new
functions, and just deprecated the old functions rather than check whehter
they were still used and delete them. This allowed me to speed up the
transition which was already taking a long time. Many of the deprecated
functions will already be unused and can easily be deleted - it's just a
matter of doing lots of greps (or whatever) to determine this. There is still
some code which uses the old functions, and that needs further looking at to
decide how to change it. I've removed a few deprecated functions already
since the initial commit, but if you or anybody else wants to do this, that
would be welcome and leave me more time to spend on other things that remain
to be done.

> Also, another big job ... but we need to add @port4 doxygen tags to the
> top the class header files associated with this change so they are
> documented automagically in the kcal library porting guide.  calendar.h
> already has a few @port4 tags for stuff I changed.

Do you think it's useful for a library which was an internal library in KDE 3?

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author and maintainer.