List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] PROPOSAL: kdepimlibs/kdepimcore
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-05-21 10:54:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 20 May 2006 20:57, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Friday 19 May 2006 20:08, Allen Winter wrote:
> > I propose a new library for kdepimlibs:  kdepimcore.
> >
> > This library would be similar in function to kdelibs/kdecore,
> > namely: 1. no UI stuff allowed
> >   2. can't be dependent on any stuff outside of kdepimcore, except
> > QtCore and kdelibs/kdecore (in theory); i.e. self-contained.
>
> Does this separation makes sense for us? We have quite some UI
> independent code, but I'm not sure we can separate this into one
> library. We might want to factor out some UI dependencies from some
> of our libraries, e.g. libkabc or libkcal, but in general it probably
> would be a huge task, which I'm not sure we are ready for.
>
> > Also, the first candidate for inclusion into kdepimcore would be
> > email.h.
>
> It might be better to fold email.h into libkabc or possibly libkmime
> (if this would become something like a general email handling library
> (maybe it could then also be renamed to libkemail)).

libkmime should stay what it is (although not necessary in the current
form): A library for handling MIME objects, i.e. for parsing the text
representation of a MIME object into a class tree and for generating a
text representation from a MIME class tree. High-level stuff like
KMail's KMMessage class and its relatives and in particular anything
that involves a GUI should be put somewhere else.

Having said this, I think at least part of email.h's functionality does
belong into libkmime.

Regards
Ingo