List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] PROPOSAL: kdepimlibs/kdepimcore
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-05-20 18:57:36

On Friday 19 May 2006 20:08, Allen Winter wrote:

> I propose a new library for kdepimlibs:  kdepimcore.
>
> This library would be similar in function to kdelibs/kdecore, namely:
>   1. no UI stuff allowed
>   2. can't be dependent on any stuff outside of kdepimcore, except QtCore
>       and kdelibs/kdecore (in theory); i.e. self-contained.

Does this separation makes sense for us? We have quite some UI independent
code, but I'm not sure we can separate this into one library. We might want
to factor out some UI dependencies from some of our libraries, e.g. libkabc
or libkcal, but in general it probably would be a huge task, which I'm not
sure we are ready for.

> Also, the first candidate for inclusion into kdepimcore would be email.h.

It might be better to fold email.h into libkabc or possibly libkmime (if this
would become something like a general email handling library (maybe it could
then also be renamed to libkemail)).

> I'm think if we do a code review in some of our other libraries (esp.
> libkdepim) we could find other things to move into kdepimcore.

I would prefer not to create additional libraries before we know what they
should include.