List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Rich text in label and status of ProgressItem
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-15?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-05-19 23:01:21

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

looking into bug 94243 and bug 127677 I noticed that rich text in label
and status of ProgressItems is interpreted (because we use QLabel for
them). The fix for bug 94243 escaped the message subject in order to
prevent it from being interpreted as rich text. Unfortunately, QLabel
fails to automatically detect text containing "&amp;" as rich text and
thus prints "&amp;" as is (leading to bug 127677). So we have to set
the text format of the QLabels explicitly with QLabel::setTextFormat().
Now the question is whether we want to set the text format to
Qt::PlainText or Qt::RichText.

Do we want to be able to use rich text (e.g. <b>...</b>) for the
label/status of ProgressItems? In this case all user text has to be
escaped before we put it into a label or a status. And this has to be
clearly documented in the API.
Pro: Being able to use rich text might be nice in some situations.
Con: This is error-prone because we will eventually forget to escape a
label/status text somewhere.

Or will we never want to use rich text for the label/status of
ProgressItems? In this case we can simply disable rich text
interpretation by calling QLabel::setTextFormat( Qt::PlainText ).
Pro: We don't have to remember to escape any label/status texts.
Con: We can't use rich text.

What do you think?

Regards,
Ingo