List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Summer of Code: looking for possible works and mentors
From:       Alejandro Exojo <suy () kurly ! org>
Date:       2006-05-10 22:48:04

El Miércoles, 3 de Mayo de 2006 14:20, Reinhold Kainhofer escribió:
> Hi Alex,

Hi.

Sorry for replying soooo late. :-(

I wanted to post an email the past weekend, with a draft of the application,
but I've been very busy with university stuff these days (and I'm still
are :) ).

I had time just to finish the application some minutes before the deadline,
and submit it. I decided to focus on KOrganizer theming. If finally the
application is not accepted, I still will keep my eyes open to help wherever
I think I can do anything useful.

> Am Dienstag, 2. Mai 2006 21:06 schrieb Alejandro Exojo:
> > 2. KOrganizer theming
(...)
> The plugin interface currently is quite lacking, so many thing can/need to
> be factored out and corresponding hooks in the plugin interfac simply need
> to be added and called.
(...)

OK. I will try to spend some time reading the code, and setting a KDE 4 build
environment. Unfortunately until 13th of July I will have classes or exams,
so I will be working very very slowly.

> > So I have a couple of ideas,
>
> Do you want to share them with us so I can comment on whether they are
> possible/feasible at all?

Sure. Actually is nothing serious: just some vague and random ideas that
sometimes arise when you work with the app.

* Eye candy

It will be great to add more images to the main view. In KMail, the addition
of the X-Face/contact-photo box, is great. Is not only a bit of eye candy,
but also very useful when reading threads, because a face or logo it's a
clear sign of distinction, more than a name. So, adding the contact-photo
from kaddressbook in the events created from birthday resource, would be
great. It should be useful too, to add icons to categories, and holidays. I
think they can be much more useful than the actual icons
of "read-only", "reminder", "repeats", etc, because this properties can be
checked when you select the event.

* User-defined values

A friend recently started to use KOrganizer, and asked me some questions of
stuff he wanted to, but was not possible to configure. One was not displaying
at all in the weekly view the hours from 0:00 to 8:00, because he was not
going to add anything there. Another was displaying a certain group of
events, but not highlighting in bold all of them in the date navigator.

Of course, providing a configuration option for every detailed feature, can
lead to a huge dialog. So the easy idea, is provide some kind of "theme file"
which contains the details of what to display (and how) and what not. A user
can install one from kde-look, or change the default ones to suit his/her
needs.

* Holidays

Now that libkholidays_ng has started, it's a good moment to suggest more
ideas. Actually, the holidays look very poor. Some of the texts in the
spanish holidays file, don't even fit in the dayly view because are too long,
and the only way to read the full text is hover the mouse.

I've seen that there are a lot of classes of holidays. This is great, because
many people I know, write in their paper calendars "HOLIDAY", in big vertical
letters across the day, if you don't have to work this day. And of course,
you write something very different if it's a different official event.

> I can definitely mentor such a project.

That's great. Thanks!

Let's see what google says finally about the application.

Greetings.

PS: Sorry if somebody fell asleep reading this. I can be very verbose if I
think in spanish and translate to english, sorry. ;-)

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) - GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2
http://barnacity.net/ - Jabber ID: suy@bulmalug.net