List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Public, Private and Confidential
From:       Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold () kainhofer ! com>
Date:       2005-07-09 21:32:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Samstag, 9. Juli 2005 23:10 schrieb Chris Howells:
> Hi Reinhold,
>
> On Fri, July 8, 2005 10:25 am, Reinhold Kainhofer said:
> > It's really up to the calendar app / server how to handle this setting.
> > In KOrganizer currently doesn't make any difference, but there are wishes
> > to be
> > able to hide the summary of private or confidential events. This is e.g.
> > useful if you have a visitor in your office. You might want to arrange a
> > meeting with him and so need to use the calendar app with all the events
> > you
> > have in there, but you definitely don't want him to see who you are
> > dating at
> > what date/time...
>
> Thanks, that's a good explanation. In the business where I'm currently
> working on a KDE roll out there was a desire to be able to hide events
> from certain people, e.g. if you have a shared calendar with multiple
> people viewing/editing a remote ical file

If a lot of people are editing the same remote ical file, that is guaranteed
to lead to data loss! You should really think about using a groupware server
for that purpose (or simply shared imap folders, which are kind of a
poor-man's groupware server).

> then you might want to hide
> events from people if they aren't the organiser or attendee.

Actually, confidential events should NOT be completely hidden, since you need
to know that there is an appointment going on at that time, you are just not
supposed to know the details. The summary / description should not be visible
in the agenda (or even not accessible at all).

> It's not going to be a great amount of security...

Of course not. That's what ACLs in CalDAV are designed for.

> will see if I can come
> up with a patch shortly anyway.

Great!

Cheers,