List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: RFC Nominate Cornelius for KEPIM admin (was Re: [Kde-pim] KDE PIM
From:       Adriaan de Groot <groot () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-01-21 12:28:38

On Friday 21 January 2005 06:39, Don Sanders wrote:
> It's a kind of tragedy of the commons, that eventually destroys open
> projects and communities. It's not healthy, one stubborn or just
> annoyed person can break the harmony of a decision making by
> consensus system. One bad apple can destroy a barrel of happy fun
> loving apples.

To you and Michael, I would repeat my recent HHGttG quote: please chose your
words with more care. While I appreciate the kind of flamefests that erupt on
Usenet when enough smart people wilfully (?) misconstrue each others'
comments, this list is not the right place, and calling someone a "bad apple"
isn't going to help.

> Instead, I think, it is my personal feeling, that Cornelius has done
> an outstanding job of acting as a mediator for KDEPIM, and that it
> would be beneficial for KDEPIM to have Cornelius' contribution
> recognized by KDE giving him cvs privs to resolve conflicts in
> KDEPIM. I believe this would be best for the long term interests of
> KDEPIM of KDE as a whole.

What mediation? I don't recall any conflict in the past year or more that
might have required mediation.

What CVS privs? Our CVS doesn't _work_ like that. Except for admin/ and
perhaps some www/ stuff, there's no ACLs, no vetting of folks, and everyone
commits to CVS on equal footing. Suggesting that there be ranks and
privileges somehow is going to require a big revamp of the structure -- hence
I am somewhat skeptical of trying this or even calling it this name.

I'm still not sure what your conflict model is, nor the problem you are
pro-actively trying to solve. I can imagine that we need _a_ method to
resolve disputes (say, of the form that Reinhold insists KPilot be removed
from PIM because  it has no maintainers, and someone else disagrees with
that), and as far as that goes I'm _fine_ with saying "ok, Cornelius is there
to solve disputes that we can't work out otherwise" and submit to his
arbitration. But what's that solve?

--
   KPilot - www.kpilot.org - HotSync Solutions for KDE