List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: RFC Nominate Cornelius for KEPIM admin (was Re: [Kde-pim] KDE PIM
From:       Michael Brade <brade () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-01-23 16:15:08

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 21 January 2005 06:39, Don Sanders wrote:
> > To say it bluntly: if I do understand you correctly and if this is
> > really what you think and the reason you didn't contribute a lot
> > lately, I don't think you fit quite into the kde(pim) community.
> > The code we write ends up in public domain and will have a free
> > license. This is not changed by a conflict resolution process. We
> > do not have (m)any rights on it, if anyone wants that he has to go
> > and write proprietary code.
>
> Congratulations Micheal, if your intent is to make me feel unwelcome
> you have succeeded.
No, my intend was not at all to make you feel unwelcome or to insult you. My
intend was to make you think about what you said ("building a house on sand")
with regards to the current licenses of the code (that a decision making
system wouldn't change). I admit, reading it again now, saying you don't fit
into the kdepim community sounds too rude and I should have said it a bit
more differentiated to express that it's not you as a person who doesn't fit
but that it's your way of thinking about code that is probably different from
the rest of us. And if you can accept that, I'm sorry for that.

Furthermore, this slip should not prevent you from answering my other thoughts
I wrote. This thread and my mail did not have the intention to piss anyone
off and to stop the thread but to discuss a bit more about your dream. After
all that is how evolution and development works.

> Especially I liked the questioning of my contribution, I think that's a
> terrific insult.
Excuse me? I didn't question you contribution at all! Actually I think it is
very valuable! What I said is that you contributed less than a few months to
years ago (from my POV, of course). The same thing is true for me for the
last year, for instance. Nothing bad about it. Everyone has his/her reasons
for contributing sometimes more, sometimes less.

But back to my sentence from above: Note that it starts with an *if*, leaving
room for you to say that "I'm not motivated to contribute to code that
doesn't have a conflict resolution" is *not* the reason for you to contribute
less than earlier. That's actually what I wanted to hear...

Because reading "I'm not motivated... because..." was quite a bit of a
surprise and a big bummer for me. I just couldn't believe it. It sounded to
me like "either you implement this decision making system or I won't
contribute anymore". So I wanted a clarification.

> Stepping back a bit, this is what I'm referring to when I talk about
> difficult people. People will come into the project, make a
> contribution and then begin to insult and bully others. It's a sad,
> unfortunate and very real feature of open development.
>
> It's a kind of tragedy of the commons, that eventually destroys open
> projects and communities. It's not healthy, one stubborn or just
> annoyed person can break the harmony of a decision making by
> consensus system. One bad apple can destroy a barrel of happy fun
> loving apples.
Hm. If this is third person is meant to be me, then you picture is most
probably wrong. I don't usually insult others, nor do I bully others at all.
If you look at all my mail and contribution over the last 6 years or so that
should become obvious.

> Maybe working outside of kde cvs and starting over again is the
> solution, it is an option that I feel I have a duty to consider. But
> I've invested too much time and effort, I care too much about the
> project to be willing to give up easily :)
Just like all of us :-) Which is good.

> Instead, I think, it is my personal feeling, that Cornelius has done
> an outstanding job of acting as a mediator for KDEPIM, and that it
> would be beneficial for KDEPIM to have Cornelius' contribution
> recognized by KDE giving him cvs privs to resolve conflicts in
> KDEPIM. I believe this would be best for the long term interests of
> KDEPIM of KDE as a whole.
See Adriaan's mail, pretty much what I think as well.

Cheers,
--
Michael Brade;                 KDE Developer, Student of Computer Science
  |-mail: echo brade !#|tr -d "c oh"|s\e\d 's/e/\@/2;s/$/.org/;s/bra/k/2'

KDE 3: The Next Generation in Desktop Experience