List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] kdepim on Windows
From:       Holger Schroeder <holger-kde () holgis ! net>
Date:       2005-01-15 16:31:20

Hi,

On Saturday 15 January 2005 16:05, Thorsten Staerk wrote:
> On Saturday 15 January 2005 10:43, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > On Sunday 09 January 2005 15:37, Thorsten Staerk wrote:
> > > I have KDEPIM running on Windows here on my computer.
> > > All code built and, as far as I tested, everything runs.
> >
> > That sounds really interesting.
> >
> > > I am using KDEPIM as of KDE_3_1_4_RELEASE and kde-cygwin (on cygwin)
> > > on Windows.
> >
> > Any chance of using a more recent version of kdepim?
>
> That is the crucial point. I hope to be able to help the guys of kde-cygwin
> a little with kde 3.4. Porting kdepim lasted half a year for me, I hope now
> I get kde 3.4 done in half a year. But that's research work, and it is a
> common mistake to do a time schedule for research work. So, maybe next
> week.

at kde-cygwin we are mainly interested in getting kde up and running on
windows, and not only in cygwin. so perhaps you would be interested in
working on this more "interesting" proposal...

jaroslav staniek from http://iidea.pl/~js/qkw/ has integrated most of the
patches needed to compile kdelibs natively under windows into kde cvs.

so one could take either a commercial qt for windows or the free one from
http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/qt3-win32/ (take the most recent cvs
version), compile it with msvc.net, then compile kdelibs cvs head, and try to
get kdepim running on that.

at kde-cygwin we are now fixing the last important bugs in our version of qt
3.3.3 and we will release it really soon now...

then the next steps will be to compile kdelibs, kdebase and so on with it and
release them.

with some help we could perhaps even make it in time for the kde 3.4 release.

if we have a working native release, the cygwin one will be obsolete, so it
would make more sense to put some effort into the "windows native" way than
to put work into the "windows cygwin" way.

just my 2c, Holger