List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] ical handling library
From:       Sebastian Ley <ley () debian ! org>
Date:       2004-08-31 17:42:21

* Helge Hess wrote:

> Since I think that all developers prefer their "own" environment to fix
> the annoying libical issue ;-) Is there any chance (or reason) to avoid
> that and do something together in plain C?

While the drawback of this would be the additional work to integrate such a
library into the different environments, the advantages outweigh this IMO:

+ More people using the code will result in better peer review and bugreports
+ Joint efforts will speed up development, bug fixes and new feature
    integration (if the latter will be needed)
+ No unnecessary duplication of work
+ No code duplication on our user's systems

Presently a lot is happening with Groupware on Linux: On the server side
Kolab, SUSE's OpenExchage and the upcoming release of OpenGroupware.org 1.0
brings powerful and free Groupware servers. On the client side Kontact is
becoming really interesting, Evolution as already mature product releasing
2.0 soon and Mozilla Calendar, which despite being in an early stage is
interesting because it runs on Windows and MAC OS.

So now that Groupware really becomes interesting it would be a good idea to
extend collaboration among free projects wherever it is feasable. This might
reach from sharing code up to specifying (or agreeing on existant) protcols
for interproject communication.

A collaboration on the libical issue would be a nice start, born of necessity
of course, since nobody is actually happy with libical presently.

Regards,
Sebastian

--
PGP-Key: http://www.mmweg.rwth-aachen.de/~sebastian.ley/public.key
Fingerprint: A46A 753F AEDC 2C01 BE6E  F6DB 97E0 3309 9FD6 E3E6