List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Re: Sync Problem
From:       Simone Gotti <simone.gotti () email ! it>
Date:       2004-07-09 23:42:54

On Friday 09 July 2004 23:36, Wee-Jin Goh wrote:
> > > I've been meaning to ask about this - why is it that kpilot doesn't
> > > just monitor the USB connections and see when a palm pilot device is
> > > attached to it? The Linux (and probably other OSes) way with the user
> > > choosing the USB port is IMHO completely broken. It gets even worse
> > > when you have several machines, and use different USB devices for them.
> >
> > Yes, it's stupid. And the solution has existed for years already: USB
> > hotplug support. On my system at home, I have KPilot configured to use
> > /dev/pilot. It just sits around and waits for /dev/pilot to come into
> > being. My USB hotplug agent detects that a Pilot is attached, and then
> > does ln -s /dev/the-real-device /dev/pilot, and voila!
>
> How does one go about configuring this agent? I've had to manually
> monitor /var/log/messages to see which port my Palm gets connected to,
> since it seems to be either ttyUSB3 or ttyUSB1.

If you are using a linux 2.6 kernel, you can use udev (which will replace
devfs, now marked as obsolete). I don't know if your distro already uses it,
but with gentoo I'm using it from linux-2.6.0-beta1.

One of the goal of udev is to create persistent devices. You can create a
simple udev rule that let you assign the same device for your pilot.

You can find various howto on the net that guide you on how to configure it.
for example this:
http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php

Of course, if you don't want to use udev, you can create a simple hotplug
script that symlink the created device with a fixed one. But udev (under
linux) is the right way to do this kind of things.

Bye!
--
Simone Gotti
<simone.gotti@email.it>