List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Re: Sync Problem
From:       Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold () kainhofer ! com>
Date:       2004-07-10 10:31:56

Am Samstag, 10. Juli 2004 01:42 schrieb Simone Gotti:
> If you are using a linux 2.6 kernel, you can use udev (which will replace
> devfs, now marked as obsolete). I don't know if your distro already uses
> it, but with gentoo I'm using it from linux-2.6.0-beta1.
>
> One of the goal of udev is to create persistent devices. You can create a
> simple udev rule that let you assign the same device for your pilot.
>
> You can find various howto on the net that guide you on how to configure
> it. for example this:
> http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php

Thanks a lot for the info and the link! I just setup udev and it really rocks
(except that I haven't been able to detect my clie's memory stick as usb
storage device...). If anybody is interested, here are my lines for the clie
and my siemens usb-to-serial convert for my mobile phone:

SYSFS{manufacturer}="Sony Corp.", SYSFS{product}="Palm Handheld",
SYSFS{idVendor}="054c", NAME="pilot"

SYSFS{product}="Palm Handheld", NAME="pilot_any"

# TODO: Make this work to mount the memorystick:
BUS="scsi", SYSFS{model}="CLIE MGMS       ", NAME="clie%n"

# Siemens usb-to-serial converter
BUS="usb", SYSFS{idProduct}="2303", SYSFS{idVendor}="067b", NAME="handy"

In particular, only my Clie NR70V (connected via usb) gets the /dev/pilot
device, all other palm handhelds will get /dev/pilot_any. And the mobile will
be /dev/handy, no matter what is plugged in first. So far, the mobile got an
ttyUSB, and the handheld got two, but their numbering depended on which was
plugged in first.

Reinhold