List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Re: Sync Problem
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2004-07-09 22:08:36

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Wee-Jin Goh wrote:
> > Yes, it's stupid. And the solution has existed for years already: USB
> > hotplug support. On my system at home, I have KPilot configured to use
> > /dev/pilot. It just sits around and waits for /dev/pilot to come into
> > being. My USB hotplug agent detects that a Pilot is attached, and then
> > does ln -s /dev/the-real-device /dev/pilot, and voila!
>
> How does one go about configuring this agent? I've had to manually
> monitor /var/log/messages to see which port my Palm gets connected to, since
> it seems to be either ttyUSB3 or ttyUSB1.

I have no idea how to configure _your_ USB hotplug agent. I know mine goes
like this: add the following to /etc/usbd.conf, above the final
fallthrough entry:

device "Pilot"
	devname "ucom[0-9]+"
	attach "rm -f /dev/pilot ; ln -s ${DEVNAME} /dev/pilot ; chmod 660
${DEVNAME} ; chgrp console ${DEVNAME}"
	detach "rm -f /dev/pilot"

Now, I use FreeBSD (guess what my answer to "sensible OS" is?) so that's
probably totally useless information for you. Under some flavors of linux,
there mnay be an /etc/hotplug/usb/ which does .. something. Again, I have
no idea how that works and no way to test it, which is why someone who
does needs to give me the information someday. I suspect
http://www.linux-usb.org/usb-admin.html is a decent place to start,
although it's somewhat dated.