List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Re: Kmail and MS-Exchange via IMAP
From:       Bo Thorsen <bo () sonofthor ! dk>
Date:       2004-07-06 7:08:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 05 July 2004 21:36, Richard Bos wrote:
> Op maandag 5 juli 2004 21:18, schreef Janus Sandsgaard:
> > Compared to connected IMAP (which I am using now in the Kmail what
> > comes with KDE 3.2). Opening folders (i.e. moving from a lage inbox
> > to a large send mail) is a lot slower than using Outlook as mail
> > client. I am not sure why (does Outlook 2000 use dicconnedted IMAP?).
> > Dicconnedted IMAP sounds like what I am looking for in my Kmail.
>
> I just (this morning) tried dimap using kde-3.3-beta1, but i switched
> back to connected imap.  Somehow the synchronizing took forever and I
> was not patient enough to let it finish.
>
> The thing is I just wanted to read the messages in my inbox, but it
> started synching other folders first (that's what I suspect at the
> moment).  As synching took a long time, for whatever reason I was not
> able to read the emails in my inbox :((
>
> I would expect dimap to work as connected imap, but with the additional
> bonus that a folder that is once read is cached on disk.  So not each
> folder is cached, but only the once that have been entered.

Your expectation is not correct.

A disconnected IMAP synchronization makes sure the server and the client
cache is identical after the sync, so on the first sync it will download
all your mail to the client cache. On all later synchronizations, only
changes will be up- and downloaded.

Bo.

     Klarälvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark