List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Syncing Palm Zire 31 redux
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2004-07-05 23:08:29

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Wee-Jin Goh wrote:
> I've had a lot of trouble with SuSE and my Palm and I'm now trying to sync on
> Fedora Core 2. My machine detects the device alright, but I'm having problems
> getting the device to sync.

This kind of OS-specific trouble is always the worst kind. Ugh. I've
prompted for, but never received, written explanations of what to do in
this kind of situations, including setting up hotplug or whatever to
manage device nodes. I don't use linux, so the following is about half
guesswork:

> When I power up my Palm, /var/log/messages registers the device. This is what
> it says.

OK - the Zire31 is very irritating in this respect - it makes little
nonsensical mini-connects on powerup, powerdown, lots of times. No sync
protocol runs at the time, and kpilot can get rather confused by them.
Some time - since I have a zire31 - I'm going to add accept timeouts so
that these connect's don't break kpilot anymore. Anyway ..

> Jul  5 22:49:07 localhost kernel: usb 3-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS
> converter now attached to ttyUSB3 (or usb/tts/3 for devfs)
> Jul  5 22:49:09 localhost udev[5858]: creating device node '/udev/ttyUSB2'
> Jul  5 22:49:09 localhost udev[5860]: creating device node '/udev/ttyUSB3'

ok, on _this_ connection run, the Pilot got assigned to devices 2 and 3
(remember, all this is dynamic, just in case you have two serial-like
devices attached). Which devices nodes (ie. device filenames like
/dev/ttyUSB2) you actually get depends on this week's notion of what the
kernel and periphery ought to do.

Personally, I have my hotplug manager configured so that the most recent
Pilot gets /dev/pilot, no footling about:

device "PalmOS device"
        devname "ucom[0-9]+"
        attach "rm -f /dev/pilot ; ln -s /dev/${DEVNAME} /dev/pilot ;
chgrp console ${DEVNAME} ; chmod 660 /dev/${DEVNAME}"
        detach "rm -f /dev/pilot"

Of course, that's not going to help you at all.

> Now my question is where is my device connected to? All the documentation on
> the web that I've read suggest /dev/ttyUSB1. I've tried that, and no go. I've
> tried /dev/ttyUSB2 and /dev/ttyUSB3 also with no luck.

These powerup connects are useless.

> Jul  5 22:52:15 localhost kernel: usb 3-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS
> converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for devfs)
> Jul  5 22:52:15 localhost kernel: usb 3-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS
> converter now attached to ttyUSB1 (or usb/tts/1 for devfs)
> Jul  5 22:52:17 localhost udev[6020]: creating device node '/udev/ttyUSB0'
> Jul  5 22:52:17 localhost udev[6022]: creating device node '/udev/ttyUSB1'

_Now_ it's connected to devices 0 and 1; which of the two you should pick
depends on the device, and I've got no particular advice to give. Try 'em
both. Ideally, though, you'd just get an automatic /dev/pilot link to the
right device node, and be rid of all this mucking about with specific
device entries.

--
 Adriaan de Groot    adridg@cs.kun.nl     Kamer A6020     024-3652272
GPG Key Fingerprint 934E 31AA 80A7 723F 54F9  50ED 76AC EE01 FEA2 A3FE