List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Kontact Polishing
From:       Luke Randall <luke.randall () ideaforge ! org>
Date:       2004-03-22 12:11:07

Hi

I've attached a screenshot of Kontact on my box. I changed the icons around a
bit, for reasons explained below:

icon. It looks more crystal-like and is more asthetically pleasing.

Mail: I feel the metaphor should be an email app, rather than KMail
specifically, thus I changed the icon to a generic mail icon

Contacts: I don't feel the current phone handset icon is the right metaphor.
Contacts are about people, thus the use of the kuser icon, which fits in well
with the theme

Calendar: I felt the current korganizer icon looked more like a todo icon than
a calendar icon, thus I changed to the current icon as I didn't want the same
icon for two apps

To Do List: See calendar

Notes: I felt the knotes icon doesn't look very crystal-like, and doesn't fit
in well with the icons. I think the kate icon looks a lot better, and fits in
with the notes metaphor

News: I don't feel that the news icon looks crystal-like at all, and clashes
with the other icons. I have not found a suitable replacement. I could look
at trying to draw one myself

Kontact: I agree with the sentiments others have expressed that the current
Kontact icon is unsatisfactory. I myself am currently using the calendar icon
as my kontact icon. However, I think a new icon is necessary, and as with the
news icon I am willing to try draw a new one.

I think the suggested replacement looks a lot more uniform, and thus more
polished, and fits in better with the Crystal theme. I'm interested to see if
people agree with this, so I'd appreciate any feedback on this. If everyone
agrees, I'd like to see Kontact using these icons so that it looks better.

Regards

Luke

On Saturday 20 March 2004 23:13, Allen Winter wrote:
> On Saturday 20 March 2004 03:47 pm, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > On Saturday 20 March 2004 18:06, Allen Winter wrote:
> > >  * The splash screen could be prettier.  Is it a good idea to
> > > "hard-code" the components into the image?
> >
> > No. The other question is if we need a splash-screen at all.
>
> I just removed the splash-screen from my personal copy.
> Seems fine without it.  I like it better this way, personally.
>
> > >  * The kontact icon tooltip says "Personal Information Manager".
> > >     The tooltip should match the description on the splash?
> > > ("Groupware Client").
> >
> > Well, Kontact is a "Personal Information Manager" much more than a
> > "Groupware client", so the tooltip is correct.
>
> Right.  The splash-screen needs to be fixed (or eliminated).
>
> > The splash screen shouldn't contain a text at all, because it's hard to
> > translate.
>
> Yep.
>
> > > * I get two Tip-of-the-Days when I start
> > > kontact.  The first one seems to be from kmail and the other from
> > > korganizer.
> >
> > Danimo?
> >
> > >  * The kontact icon doesn't stand out very well in my light grey
> > > panel. I guess the icon could use a little polish.
> >
> > Agreed.
> >
> > >  * The Todo List and Calendar icons on the left panel area a little
> > > too similar.
> >
> > Agreed.
> >
> > We really need better Kontact icons. Unfortunately there are almost no
> > artists working on KDE and especially kdepim.
>
> Should I ask for volunteers on kde-artists or kde-quality?
>
> > > Configuration (Settings->Configure Kontact menu):
> > >  * What is the difference between the big Configure button and the
> > > Summary configuration?
> >
> > The Configure button is for selecting which apps are embedded in
> > Kontact. The Summary configuration is only for the summary view (which
> > depends on which apps are selected to be embedded).
>
> OK.  Maybe the Configure button should be relabeled to... "Select Apps to
> Embed"?? or "Embedded Applications" or...?

["kontact.png" (image/png)]