List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Kontact Polishing
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2004-03-22 12:42:41

Hi Luke,

Please don't top-post, as it's confusing and irritating (I couldn't tell
there _was_ an attached screenie, at first) - and please snip stuff you're
not responding to.

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Luke Randall wrote:
> I've attached a screenshot of Kontact on my box. I changed the icons around a
> bit, for reasons explained below:

It _looks_ reasonable, but ..

> Mail: I feel the metaphor should be an email app, rather than KMail
> specifically, thus I changed the icon to a generic mail icon

Except that it _is_ KMail, specifically, that you'll get, no?

> Notes: I felt the knotes icon doesn't look very crystal-like, and doesn't fit
> in well with the icons. I think the kate icon looks a lot better, and fits in
> with the notes metaphor

This is where things get really confusing, I think, for the user who might
mix kontact with other KDE applications or kontact with the non-contact
versions of the same apps. For instance, with your changed icons, suppose
I'm running KNotes standalone with a note opened and then minimized, have
a kate window also minimized, and now run kontact. The mismatch between
the icon in kontact and the icons visible in my taskbar is a bad one. In
other words, this needs a _different_ fix, perhaps a new and nicer icon
for KNotes, but not the use of another app's icon.