List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] why does korganizer and kmail etc. use soo much memory?
From:       Mark Bucciarelli <mark () easymailings ! com>
Date:       2003-09-06 17:12:24

On Friday 05 September 2003 6:29 am, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 04 September 2003 10:14, Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> > On disk, a single iCal event might be 600 bytes but the data
> > segment in KOrg requires 5,000 bytes.  I don't know why.

[...]

> the attached patch attempts to address this.

I just finished rebuilding qt-copy, kdelibs, kdebase and kdepim.  Looked like
your patch is now in CVS, so I tried KOrganizer on a big ics file.

same 2,500 item ics file consumed 15,720 kB of VmData.  So, unless I'm making
some mistake in calculating the memory used, things are going in the wrong
direction.

In one line, here's how I get the VmData used:

cat /proc/`ps ax | grep '[0-9] korganizer$' | cut -d ' ' -f 1`/status \
| grep VmData

The test script creates an ics file with 2,500 events, each event with one
alarm.  Here's a link to the original script (which creates 168 total
events):

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-pim&m=105881242607471&w=2

I'm happy to continue testing patches ...

Regards,

Mark