List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] libkabc as a performance issue...
From:       Tobias Koenig <tokoe () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-09-06 16:32:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 04:07:04PM +0200, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
Hi Reinhold,

> I just did some valgrinding of korganizer and I was quite shocked about the
> outcome (see attached screenshot of the most expensive function calls).
> In this test I started korganizer, moved around some events, edit some, etc.
> and then closed korganizer.
>
> Basically, what it says (as I understand it) is that 21.6% of the whole CPU
> cost of KOrganizer goes to loading the StdAddressBook (consisting of one .vcf
> file with only 330 addresses) !
>
> The destruction is even more dramatic:
> 35% of the whole CPU cost goes to ~StdAddressBook ! Of that, 22.5% (of the
> overall cost) are used in KABC::VCardTool::createVCards (called from
> KABC::VCardFormatPlutin::saveAll).
>
> What seems strange to me in this regard is that the StdAddressBook is saved,
> even though it wasn't changed at all. Maybe fixing this can already improve
> things a lot.
You have to call
  StdAddressBook::setAutomaticSave( false );
to avoid automatic saving at destruction time.

Cornelius, shall I change the behaviour of StdAddressBook to have this
property false by default?

Ciao,
Tobias
--
Can a government that shoots at reporters be democratic?
Separate politics from religion and economy!