List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Apple iCal & korganizer..
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-09-30 23:39:13

On Monday 30 September 2002 16:16, Pimephalis wrote:
> On September 30, 2002 02:52 am, Guenter Schwann wrote:
> > On Monday 30 September 2002 01:49, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > > If there is a iCalendar file which claims to adhere to the
> > > standard and KOrganizer doesn't show the information correct,
> > > please file a bug report.
> >
> > This really seems to be (one more) a bug in KOrganizer :-(
> > Evolution is makeing the same type of start/end-times. I also had a
> > look at the specs. But that didn't help me :-(
>
> Perhaps it's a problem/feature with Apple's iCal. For those who
> haven't looked into this yet, I'll give you an example of the kind of
> entry in their .ics (their extension is .ical) file:
>
> SUMMARY:Remembrance Day
> RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;INTERVAL=1;BYMONTH=11
> DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20021111
> DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20021112
> END:VEVENT
>
> This is a Canadian holiday which celebrates, on the 11th of November
> of each year, the veterans of the first World War. When I import this
> calendar into korganizer, remembrance day is recorded on both the
> 11th and the 12th (it sees it as a two-day event).

I don't think that's a bug in KOrganizer. This use of start and end
dates doesn't make any sense. The iCalendar spec says that a DTSTART
without a time and without a DTEND is used to specifiy events which
doesn't consume any time, like anniversaries. So adding a DTEND does
make it consume time and I fail to see why the DTEND shouldn't consume
a day like the DTSTART does.

Guenter, has this been discussed on the ietf-calendar mailing list, do
you know?