List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KABC Addresses
From:       Tobias Koenig <tokoe82 () yahoo ! de>
Date:       2002-09-29 22:44:46

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 12:06:59AM +0200, Anders Lund wrote:
> On Lørdag den 28. september 2002 16:36, Tobias Koenig wrote:
Hi Anders,

> > No. The Field class is for easy access of string representation of a value.
> > It do value->string transformation and vice versa, but
> >   1) address parsing is horrible
> >   2) for your mentioned needs you can use the formattedAddress() directly
> >   3) Cornelius is against it ;)
>
> Well, as far as KAddressBook is concerned, the "select fields" widget used to
> configure views should contain _all_ possible fields, and formatted addresses
> are some of those. If you don't want formatted addresses in there, we just
> have to add those (and possible other "pseudo" fields) to the lists in that
> widget manually, and add the code for getting those strings somewhere too.
Please no ugly hacks!

> > > * members in KABC::Field and KABC::Addressee
> >
> > No need for it, the string is created on the fly in
> > Address::formattedAddress().
>
> Again, the reason for adding them is to make them easily accessible for
> objects wanting to choose some fields.
The content of such fields are just for quick informations. Formatted
strings shouldn't appear there. I don't like the idea of formatted Addresses
in the card view. We have already the details page, that presents the
Addressees details in a formatted way.

> > The templates should be stored in
> > $KDEDIR/share/locale/l10n/<cc>/entry.desktop We can access this file with
> >   locate( "locale", "l10n/<cc>/entry.desktop" )
> > where <cc> is the country ISO code.
>
> That's what I was thinking.
>
> Now, Jost Schenck <jost.schenck@gmx.de> said he was allready working on this,
> so Jost; I hope you read and agree to the conclusions here:)
Yepp Jost did I guess :)

ATM there is no country name <-> country iso code conversation tool available
in kdelibs and the KCountryCombo seemed not to implement it as well. Either
we write our one stuff (I don't like this idea) or we extend KLocale =>
everybody can prefer from that change.

Ciao,
Tobias
--