List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] libkabc API problems
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-09-29 1:23:49

There are some small API problems in libkabc which come from changes
after the 3.0 relelase. As we can't fix them after we have released the
lib because of binary compatibility we have to resolve this now:

- AddressBook::saveAll() undermines the locking concept. I would like to
remove this function. It's the responsibility of the application to
ensure that all resources are saved.

- AddressBook::resourceAddress() is in the wrong class. It doesn't
operate on the AddressBook but on the Resource, so I think it should be
part of Resource. I propose renaming it to Resource::takeAddressee().

- AddressBook::distributionListChanged() does not belong to AddressBook.
Distribution lists work on top of AddressBook. The AddressBook should
not depend on any distribution list classes. This code should probably
moved to the distribution list classes.

- Where is AddressBook::lastAddressee() used? This is a strange
function. I don' think it should be part of the libkabc API. If an
aplication needs to store this kind of information I think it should do
it by itself.

I don't know what these changes would break, so could people using these
functions please comment, if the changes would cause problems?