List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KAlarmDaemon vs. KOrganizer Alarm Client
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-07-17 8:29:25

On Tuesday 16 July 2002 20:02, Daniel Molkentin wrote:

> Why does both exist? Have there been any efforts to merge them or to
> evaluate what it takes to do so? I'd do that, if it's not too complex, for
> 3.1

The alarm daemon is the low level non-GUI part. It is shared by KAlarm (the
application) and KOrganizer. The daemon looks at one or more calendar files
and checks, when alarms are due. When an alarm is due it notifies all clients
which have registered for the particular calendar file the alarm comes from.

Currently we have two alarm daemon clients, the KOrganizer alarm client and
KAlarm. The KOrganizer alarm client has the job to show the alarm in a
dialog. This is the GUI part of alarm notification.

The alarm daemon and the alarm clients can't be merged because they have
different roles in alarm notification. It would for eample be nice to have an
alarm client which sends mails. This should also work without GUI, so it
doesn't fit in the GUI part, but it should also not be part of the daemon
itself, because it represents specific functionality and needs specific
configuration data which has nothing to do with checking calendar files for
alarms.

I hope this clears things up a bit.