List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] [RFC]: KDE GroupWare solution
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-06-19 15:17:14

On Wednesday 19 June 2002 16:45, Nick Papadonis wrote:

> Your method of holding only free/busy information on the server is
> efficient with space and more secure then other alternatives.
>
> Alternatively, itt could be argued that enterprise environments need all
> calendar data on the server.  What happens if a user's laptop crashes, is
> stolen, etc...?  IT wants a easy and quick solution to get the user back
> online.

The solution for this problem is a backup system.

> Cooperate environments also have cases when a users decide to login
> from a lab stations (alternative workstations).  How would the
> calendar data be replicated and synced?  Again, I envision a
> centralized server holding all calendar information.

A centralized server makes syncing easier, but it also adds restrictions,
because you only can sync when you have access to the server. The syncing
framework we are working on should allow to sync without a server. So you can
sync your computer at work with your computer at home, but you can also sync
your PDA with your laptop when you have no net access, or your laptop with
your computer at home, etc.

--
Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher.kde.org>