List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] [RFC]: KDE GroupWare solution
From:       Nick Papadonis <nick () coelacanth ! com>
Date:       2002-06-19 14:45:09

Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher@kde.org> writes:
>> The calendar server holds calendar data for each user in a group.  If
>> the user disconnects, a meeting organizer can still determine if someone is
>> available in a time block.
>
> Yes, that's the reason why we have to add the option to put the free/busy
> information on a server (e.g. a ftp server). But it dosen't mean that you
> have to put the complete calendar on the server or that you have to edit the
> data on the server. It just means that a file with a reduced set of
> information is copied to a server, it doesn't have to contain details about
> meetings, just the information about the time the user is busy. This also
> means that there no fancy authentification mechanism is necessary, because
> the file does not contain very sensitive data. This makes the implementation
> much easier.

I see two alternatives here.

Your method of holding only free/busy information on the server is
efficient with space and more secure then other alternatives.

Alternatively, itt could be argued that enterprise environments need all calendar data
on the server.  What happens if a user's laptop crashes, is stolen,
etc...?  IT wants a easy and quick solution to get the user back online.

I envision a calendar server behaving similar to an IMAP mail server.
IT would reload the laptop with Linux.  The user could login with their
username:pw pair and the old calendar data is retrieved easily.

Cooperate environments also have cases when a users decide to login
from a lab stations (alternative workstations).  How would the
calendar data be replicated and synced?  Again, I envision a
centralized server holding all calendar information.

- Nick