List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] [RFC]: KDE GroupWare solution
From:       Nick Papadonis <nick () coelacanth ! com>
Date:       2002-06-19 20:24:24

Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher@kde.org> writes:

> On Wednesday 19 June 2002 16:45, Nick Papadonis wrote:
>> Your method of holding only free/busy information on the server is
>> efficient with space and more secure then other alternatives.
>>
>> Alternatively, itt could be argued that enterprise environments need all
>> calendar data on the server.  What happens if a user's laptop crashes, is
>> stolen, etc...?  IT wants a easy and quick solution to get the user back
>> online.
>
> The solution for this problem is a backup system.

Agreed, however if backups happen nightly, you can loose intermediate
calendar information.

Restoring data also requires support and time.  If you have ever
worked for a large company, waiting a week for a new
email address isn't unheard of.  Now were talking about retrieving
backups that are possibly distributed over incremental tapes...

What if there existed a laptop with fresh Linux installation?
Potentially it could be preloaded with KDEPIM and the user could
simply connect to the centralized server.  You wouldn't even have to
call corperate IT.

>> Cooperate environments also have cases when a users decide to login
>> from a lab stations (alternative workstations).  How would the
>> calendar data be replicated and synced?  Again, I envision a
>> centralized server holding all calendar information.
>
> A centralized server makes syncing easier, but it also adds restrictions,
> because you only can sync when you have access to the server. The syncing
> framework we are working on should allow to sync without a server. So you can
> sync your computer at work with your computer at home, but you can also sync
> your PDA with your laptop when you have no net access, or your laptop with
> your computer at home, etc.

Interesting.  I think both methods of syncronization could be
accomplished.  There could be local and remote calendar data.  The
goal would be to keep the local data and the server data stores
1-1 as real time as possible.

The server could be another component to syncronize with.  When
connected to the server, actions will be distributed locally (to disk)
and then to the centralized server (if it's available).  Thoughts?

--
Nick