List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] [RFC]: KDE GroupWare solution
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-06-17 15:00:30

On Monday 17 June 2002 15:44, Mike Pilone wrote:
> On Saturday 15 June 2002 08:07 pm, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > I don't think that we are "sticking" to the peer-to-peer approach. If
> > there is a server available which is accepted and has documented
> > interfaces we will add support for it. I will not repeat that writing a
> > server is out of the scope of KDE ;-)
> >
> > Adding support for a calendar server isn't that difficult. I have done
> > it myself in a simple way for a proprietary server solution. But the
> > benefit isn't very big. My personal opinion is that the role of a
> > server for calendaring is overrated, but you can prove me wrong.
> > Patches are welcome ;-)
>
> I think the huge success of Exchange server proves all of us wrong. Whether
> we think it is the correct approach or not doesn't matter when the demand
> of the office (usually the computer illiterate manager) is for simple group
> scheduling. This isn't an argument for what is the best solution to the
> problem or what is the coolest way to do something, but rather asking what
> the users want. There is no doubt in my mind that users (especially
> business) want group scheduling (and workflow).

I completely agree. Users want group scheduling and we should provide a
solution for that need. All I'm saying was that I don't think that storing
the calendar data on a server is necessarily the best technical
implementation for this solution. Users don't care for servers or
peer-to-peer architectures. They just want to get their job done.

> In the past I have worked in offices that used 100% outlook/exchange
> solutions and the office would completely fall apart without it. Like it or
> not, people do not want a 15 page tutorial on how to get p2p group
> scheduling involving 4 different applications. They want to start the
> application, create an appointment, invite someone from their addressbook,
> be told if the person is available, and be done with it.

Exactly this can be done with iTIP. The only part we are missing is publishing
the free/busy information on a server where it is available in real-time
without having to exchange mails.

> My current office has selected to use
> WebCalendar (a php based server solution) to provide this functionality
> because of its ability to do realtime conflict checking and calendar
> layering. Something I believe kde-pim still cannot do.

Does calendar layering mean showing multiple calendars in the same view? This
is a feature I would also like to see in KOrganizer.

--
Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher.kde.org>