List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] [RFC]: KDE GroupWare solution
From:       Mike Pilone <mpilone () slac ! com>
Date:       2002-06-17 13:44:23

On Saturday 15 June 2002 08:07 pm, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> I don't think that we are "sticking" to the peer-to-peer approach. If
> there is a server available which is accepted and has documented
> interfaces we will add support for it. I will not repeat that writing a
> server is out of the scope of KDE ;-)
>
> Adding support for a calendar server isn't that difficult. I have done
> it myself in a simple way for a proprietary server solution. But the
> benefit isn't very big. My personal opinion is that the role of a
> server for calendaring is overrated, but you can prove me wrong.
> Patches are welcome ;-)

I think the huge success of Exchange server proves all of us wrong. Whether
we think it is the correct approach or not doesn't matter when the demand
of the office (usually the computer illiterate manager) is for simple group
scheduling. This isn't an argument for what is the best solution to the
problem or what is the coolest way to do something, but rather asking what
the users want. There is no doubt in my mind that users (especially
business) want group scheduling (and workflow).

In the past I have worked in offices that used 100% outlook/exchange
solutions and the office would completely fall apart without it. Like it or
not, people do not want a 15 page tutorial on how to get p2p group
scheduling involving 4 different applications. They want to start the
application, create an appointment, invite someone from their addressbook,
be told if the person is available, and be done with it. This is the task
that a secratary used to perform and the old 'schedule a meeting by the
coffee machine' was actually 'schedule a call between our secrataries so
they can determine a time and place that is good for both of us'. We have
the task of replicating that in software (now that all the high-ups have
layed off all our secrataries). My current office has selected to use
WebCalendar (a php based server solution) to provide this functionality
because of its ability to do realtime conflict checking and calendar
layering. Something I believe kde-pim still cannot do.

I definately agree with Cornelius that writing a server is beyond the scope
of KDE, however I think we could get away with using existing servers as
others have suggested. vCard and iCal would both nicely fit into an LDAP or
SQL database. Email is just fine on Pop3 or IMAP. It is true that we may
have to define a schema or two, but that is easy since we have vCard and
iCal to base it on. I would vote that we finish up for 3.1, then put some
time into thinking of how to expand/integrate the pim libraries for both
better inter-operation and plugable backends. Then spend the time from 3.1
-> 4.0 99% focused on implementing real server based pim support and
scalability (the other 1% is on bug fixing 3.1) and not look at adding any
new features until we get it implemented correctly. Also, making sure that
all the applications correctly use these APIs. Ideally this pluggable
support would let us also support the Exchange plugins better and actually
be a valid contender to Evolution. Note that I didn't mention integrating
the apps to an Outlook application, but I am not against the idea (assuming
we still support the loading of parts). A single 'Use PIM server' option in
kcontrol would transparently enable all the groupware type things we want
and need.

I think getting these libraries and APIs nailed down will make things so
much easier in the long run. It appears that a majority of our effort is in
playing catch-up with ourselves as the APIs constantly change (KPilot can
confirm this over the past 3 years).

Just my 2 cents.

-mike

--
Mike Pilone <mpilone@slac.com>        http://www.slac.com/mpilone/personal/
GPG Fingerprint = 856C 8B36 ECF7 9156 4611  7C6B C265 05C4 162F C3B5

See http://www.slac.com/mpilone/personal/mpilone_pub_key.gpg for full key.
See http://www.gnupg.org for GPG information.