List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] gnomecard vs. kaddressbook (addresseeeditordialog)
From:       Tobias Koenig <tokoe82 () yahoo ! de>
Date:       2002-05-21 13:50:14

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 01:48:53PM +0200, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 May 2002 13:01, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> > On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 07:19:44PM +0000, Don Sanders wrote:
> > >
> > > Adding more tabs would make it harder for the user to find and enter
> > > information.
> >
> > [Identity][Network][Addresses][Phone][Geographical][Explanatory][Security]
> >
> > I think the above tab labels wouldn't confuse the user, because they
> > structure the information fields a lot more than the current version.
>
> The problem with tabs is that you need an extra click if the control isn't on
> the current tab.
Isn't it a bit sensless to measure useability with the count of mouse clicks?
When selecting the tabs would be an action you have to do 10 times the minute
I would fully agree with you, but we talk about making a new entry or change
an entry (that happens maybe 10 times the week).

Oversightness should have a bigger influence on such a 'lesser' used dialog
than mouse speed :)

> When you have many tabs as in your example and the size of
> the dialog isn't sufficient you even need more clicks to scroll to the tab
> before you can click it. That's very annoying.
That shouldn't be a real problem, because we can resize the dialog when exec()ing
it.

> I don't think more than three
> or four tabs make sense. If we need more something like the janus widget
> might be better.
Doesn't KDialogBase use KJanusWidget? Maybe we could use such a kind of dialog,
konqueror use for configuration. On the right side you have small icons and the
topic label and on the left side the appendant page is shown.

> > I missing input fields for geographical data (Geo & TimeZone) and also
> > the security data (PGP public key) would be a interesting completion to
> > kabc/kaddressbook. To add these input fields to kaddressbook we would
> > need a new tab in any case (adding everything to 'Details' is no clean
> > way). So why not structure it completly?
>
> I would also like to see these input fields in KAddressBook, but what's the
> problem with putting them on the Details tab? Geographical infos are details.
Maybe we will add some more input fields in future, and then the Details tab
will look really ugly.

> The PGP key would perhaps fit better near the email addresses.
IMHO the first tab is already overloaded. Adding more input fields wouldn't
increase the useability.

Ciao,
Tobias
--