List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Distibution List Editor
From:       Mike Pilone <mpilone () slac ! com>
Date:       2002-05-21 13:48:39

Ok,

I have looked over the changes and they are improvements, but I am still not
comfortable with the dialog. I still do not like the combo box, since you
cannot see all the defined lists at once. I also do not like the buttons
across the top and bottom:
1) because they have different layout and spacing
2) they make me think that we are trying to get toolbar functionality
without using a toolbar.

I think things need to be better grouped. Also, about the icons, there
appears to be a KDE wide setting someplace for having icons on buttons. We
should probably honor that (keeping the text, I lost that vote ;).

Possible improvements:
Can we create a group box on the left, with a list box of dist list names
and a stack of buttons (with text) under the listbox (still in the group
box) for add, remove, rename.
On the right we can have another groupbox with a list view of contacts in
it. The contacts are a tree, with the formatted name (or realname) as the
parent/root items and the email addresses as child items. Child items would
be check box list view items. Next to the parent item (formatted name), we
can have an icon indicating if the person is in the dist list or not. This
icon would be enabled if any of the email addresses (child items) are
checked.

This idea comes from the changes that the kde usablity team is doing. They
appear to be replacing the selection widget (the one with 2 list boxes and
arrows between them) with listviews of check box items. This also greatly
simplifies the interface by removing the add/remove/select email buttons
that we have yet to find a good location for.

What does everyone think?

BTW: Tobias, thanks for your help. Please don't take my comments as not
appreciating your help.

-mike

--
Mike Pilone <mpilone@slac.com>        http://www.slac.com/mpilone/personal/
GPG Fingerprint = 856C 8B36 ECF7 9156 4611  7C6B C265 05C4 162F C3B5

See http://www.slac.com/mpilone/personal/mpilone_pub_key.gpg for full key.
See http://www.gnupg.org for GPG information.