List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Distibution List Editor
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-05-20 13:28:43

On Sunday 19 May 2002 21:23, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 11:13:00AM -0400, Mike Pilone wrote:
>
> > - I do not like large amounts of text on a button that could be
> > represented with a standard icon and a tool tip.
>
> What says the styleguide to this issue?

That's an interesting question. Icons have the problem that it's nearly
impossible to find a picture which shows the function without the need
for additional explanation. For the most common icons users have
learned what they mean, but almost all icons need an additional
explanation.

A tooltip is one way to add this explanation, but as it is only shown
when the user acts according to a certain pattern, putting the mouse
cursor over the icon for some time, this information can easily be
missed.

I think icons are okay to give an additional indication what the action
does, e.g. in menus, or if there is an alternative way to access the
function without relying on the user correctly identifying the icon,
e.g. in toolbars, but if they are the only way to perform an action as
on a push button, they should at least be an additional text, so that
the user gets the meaning of the buttons on the first look at the
dialog. If there are only icons the user has to expore their function
by slowly moving the mouse and waiting for the tooltips or by trying
out the buttons. That's not a good situation.

In my opinion push buttons in dialogs need a text. An additional icon
might be useful, but this also can make a GUI too crowded.