List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Filling the Formatted Name when editing the entry
From:       Anders Lund <anders () alweb ! dk>
Date:       2002-05-18 13:03:43

On Sunday 19 May 2002 04:05, Mirko Boehm wrote:
> Mike,
>
> I have seen that the in-place-editing code fills the formatted name field
> when you enter data.
>
> This does not seem to be a good idea to me, as the formatted name is used
> as a kind of override in a number of places (because of the idea of the
> field, to provide a literal representation of the name if there is no
> obvious choice). For example, when combining the name by
> firstname-lastname, formatted-name is the override. Same is the other way
> round (with lastname-firstname), as we have no clue what the formatted name
> is, it is just "a correct expression".
>
> So, filling the formatted name wrecks the choice of sorting orders in the
> detailled view. It wrecks the display of the names in headlines (if done
> right).
>
> If you do not mind, I would like to remove that code and leave the
> formatted name empty if possible.
>
> And we need to explain what the field means to the user and maybe put it in
> a place where it is not seen as the first field.

The "Formatted Name" field is a bit weird. It should be a virtual field or
preference imho, like if I tend to prefer "firstname lastname" it should just
remember.

And what happened to the "File As" field? or should that go into "sort key"?

That field should display at least some data, for example for a contact with
nothing but an email address, that could be chosen, where as for someone with
a name and organisation, I may wish to see "Mr John Doe, Hos Organisation" or
so. Again a combinatil of existing data, but with the additional feature of
beeing more user definable. The old addressee entry dialog had some smart
choices for it.

-anders