List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Printing Code in kaddressbook
From:       Anders Lund <anders () alweb ! dk>
Date:       2002-05-18 12:57:32

On Sunday 19 May 2002 03:04, Mirko Boehm wrote:
> Hey Mike,
>
> I committed the changes to your printing code. The printing code is now
> handled by a wizard that alows to select printing styles that do the actual
> printing.
>
> I have added the print style you have implemented (and called it Mike's
> Style:-) and will port kab's printing code now.
>
> The idea is that the different printing styles have the possibility to add
> pages to the wizard to guide the user. I did not find any options to add a
> page to your style, though, maybe you find some. Otherwise the wizard exits
> after the first page.
>
> It is intended to add common things like sorting orders to the wizard, not
> to the different styles. That is why I think a wizard makes sense...
>
> BTW, do we have a notion of a "current contact" in kaddressbook? I did not
> find one, except when there is one open for in place editing, for example.
> But the application does not store something like a cursor or iterator,
> does it?
>
> CU,
>
> --Mirko.

As the new printing code does not compile, I can't see it in action.

However, I think that printing should be implemented by the views, so that I
can get a print of what I am viewing in the window. When I create a view, I
select the style, fields and eventually filters that I want to see, and for
example the card view implements the nice option of hiding empty fields -
very nifty for printing as well.

Choosing a filter may be a good idear before printing, as well as the option
to just print selected contacts.

If we do want to add the option to choose view at printing time, it should at
least default to reflect the current view.

A comment to the printing code implemented by Mike: it does not work, as it
prints data half over labels for fields with long labels, like "Buissness
Address Zipcode", at least using A4 paper in portrait direction - the default
here in Denmark.

-anders