List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] phpGroupWare
From:       Holger Freyther <freyther () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-12-19 19:49:54

Am Mittwoch, 19. Dezember 2001 18:07 schrieb Nick Papadonis:
> Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher@kde.org> writes:
> > > phpGrouoWare is a GPL project that achieve a GroupWare server
> > > providing: - email
> > > - Calendar
> > > - Notes
> > > - TODO
> > > - Much more...
> > > - All that can be shared among workers!
> > > All that is available through PHP web pages but also through XMLRPC.
> >
> > Do you have some example code how to access a phpGroupware Server via
> > XMLRPC?
If it helps there's a dcop xmlrpc bridge.

> > If there is a decent interface how to access the data on the server, e.g.
> > creating a Korganizer plugin for accessing phpGroupware wouldn't be too
> > difficult, I would guess.
>
> Cornelius,
>
> I think things like this would fit nicely into a KSYNC plugin as
> follows (beat me in the head for not shutting up about this) :
>
>         DATA PROXY              <-->    KORGANIZER
>
>         KSYNC                   <-->    KORGANIZER PLUGIN
>         KSYNC                   <-->    PHP GROUPWARE PLUGIN
>         KSYNC                   <-->    PALM PLUGIN
>
> A simple syncronize click would syncronize the groupware server.  Is this
> desired, or is real time update desired from Korganizer as records
> change?
Hi,
this really reminds me in getting the dia of KitchenSync done. With
kitchensync you would only need to write a conduit driver.

> If anyone backs the above ideas, I have motivation to implement the
> data proxy and integrate it with Korganizer.  This would occur
> over Christmas time off and right after New Years.
Could you please explain your data proxy a bit more.

> Things I would need input on:
>
>         - Picking a database backend
>                 * Is a server client database (PostgresSQL) desirable?
>                 * Is a one hosted lightweight database (db) desirable?
Why would you want this. This should be the applications right of choice

>         - Creating a schema for all the data we need to store
>                 * What data does each application need to store?
did you ever take a look at libksync?

> I propose the following immediate milestones:
>
>         - Implement the data proxy
libksync???
>         - Test the data proxy
libksync???
>         - Modify Korganizer to store all data using the data proxy
I think Korganizer is capable of storing its data :)
>         - Test Korganizer
>

> Future milestones:
>
>         - Develop Korganizer IPC plugin
for IPC there is dcop and soap<->dcop and xmlrpc<->dcop bridges
>         - Add IPC to Korganizer to use Korganizer Plugin
With KSharedFile and a dcopiface and libksync(KitchenSync) it should be
possible to do IPC without reinventing the wheel.
> Any comments welcome.
Please look at my old ideas of syncing. They really  got smaller and
Cornelius and me settled on kitchensync. It's currently developed as a part
of a project that will be soon released.