List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Minimum requirements to make a QT app into a KDE app?
From:       Bryan Brunton <bryanbrun () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-11-07 21:20:52

<< Not long at all.  Longer than seconds, but for a simple text field, less than
half an hour if you know (roughly) what you are doing >>

And this requires no alterations to, versioning and redistribution of whatever middleware that
KOrganizer uses?

<< What is it particularly that you do not see KDEPIM as fufilling? I am
currently working on implementing a 'follow up' type system in KDEPIM (which
allows a contact to be linked ('pinned') to an event or a todo.  Hopefully in
the near future there will be a similar capability for emails >>

I don't see KDEPIM as fulfilling almost every feature that an integrated solution like Outlook or
Evolution provides.  It really comes down to: I want one place to store my data and I want a
simple consistent interface to access it.

On top of the contact/task management tool that I am building I am going to build a legal case
management system that will be a separate product.  For example, new data entities called "Files"
will be introduced.  I will need to associate, or as you say "pin",
contacts/tasks/events/documents to files.  This is quite easily done with a relational database
model.  That's what relational databases are for: pinning one type of data to another type.

Bryan