List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Minimum requirements to make a QT app into a KDE app?
From:       Bryan Brunton <bryanbrun () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-11-07 21:32:47

<< yes, but you might also want to consider that relational databases aren't the
solution for every problem ;) i spent some time browsing over the qt database
classes and have to say i really like them. powerful stuff. it would be nice
if there were drivers for flat files and gdbm. that would really give users
more options and probably make the application more accessible to users who
don't feel like installing postgres or mysql. >>

I'm in no way proposing that my solution is the one and only true way.  I'm really just looking
for input on my ideas.  The standalone KDEPIM apps are great apps that serve well in the
standalone unix tool tradition.

I don't want users to have to install postgres or mysql if they simply want local storage.  QT has
an ODBC driver.  Potentially that would mean some kind of local flat file database could be used.
Furthermore, the user has the option using both at the same time:  public contact and calendar
folders that are stored on the remote db server, and private folders that are stored locally.

Bryan