List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] KPilot Developer's notes for sept. 30
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2001-09-30 16:56:52

OK, everything's committed again and ought to work. So the state of KPilot
for the alpha is:

- can backup and restore
- no conduits
- will segfault on long pilot device names

I *still* think it's an improvement, though, on what we had. As for the
conduit setup dialog: the behavior David was complaing about, where
single-clicking on a conduit would start its configuration is caused by me
interpreting the KDE single-or-double-click policy as intended. Ie. in
many places you *can't* select things by clicking on them. Anyway, it's
changed now.

Then there's tooltips -- or descriptions -- for conduits. We need to add
comment fields to the .desktop files for the conduits. That's enough,
since the comment is displayed in the config widget. There's no need to do
any more. Note that long comments look ugly, so I'll have to look into
doing a decent formatting job on the description entry.

KPilot Developer's notes for september 30th 2001

2001-09-30  Adriaan de Groot

Last minute sneak-it-in-for-the-alpha things. More code and layout cleanup,
although the big commit changing to tabs & the KPilot style was yesterday.
Fixed some minor display bugs, made preHotSync more useful, normalized
some strings. The kpilot/Icons/ directory now contains only those icons
actually needed and used, and they're all in PNG format. Saves lots of space,
in the sense that the KPilot binary is 300k smaller now than it was, due to
dumping XPMs.

I added a private-d-ptr to kpilot.h, but haven't moved all the data
members there. For an app it doesn't matter so much, but this will reduce
the amount of recompiling and who knows what the plugin API will look like
eventually.

The conduit configuration is different -- again -- and easier to understand.

2001-09-27  Adriaan de Groot
* Added FUNCTIONSETUP everywhere.
* Replaced email addresses with kde-pim@kde.org or groot@kde.org.
* Removed qDebug everywhere.

2001-09-26  Adriaan de Groot

* Surrounded much debugging output with #ifdef DEBUG.
* Replaced remaining calls to kdDebug() by macros with debug areas.
* Applied indent everywhere.
* Added some () where needed to resolve ambiguity.

2001-09-25  Adriaan de Groot

Wrestled with crashes (cerr << i ; debugstatement ; cerr << i ; gave
two different values for i) caused by mixing debug conde and non-debug
code. Discovered that qglobal.h defines DEBUG unless NO_DEBUG is
set. Hmph. Also found that gcc does a poor job in optimizing away
debugging statements with NDEBUG defined. Therefore, debugging statements
will be once again surrounded by #ifdefs. The plan is that I'll get all
the code formatting and this kind of silly issues out of the way in the
next few days and then start to deal with the next problem, namely the
existing conduits.

2001-09-24  Adriaan de Groot
* kpilot/uiDialog.{h,cc}
* kpilot/kpilotConfigDialog.cc
* kpilot/kpilotConfigDialog_base.ui
  Minor changes to get the dialog to size correctly when other fonts / other
  settings are used. This solves David's complaint about ugly dialogs.
* kpilot/hotSync.{h,cc}
  () Removed lots of commented out code from previous incarnations.
  () Added a cleanup action.
  () Removed a heap-corruption bug caused by using QStringList & and
  then deleting what it points to in FileInstallAction.
  () Removed deadlock when last file to install couldn't be read.
  () Moved RestoreAction to interactiveSync.{h,cc}, since I feel it
  needs to ask "Are you sure?" at the very least.
* kpilot/interactiveSync.{h,cc}
  New files with support for, and some types of, interactive syncing.
  Used for asking the user questions during a sync, for example confirm
  dialogs. This means we can now update user settings &c, since we needed
  some interaction for that. Moved RestoreAction to here.
* kpilot/kpilotlink.{h,cc}
  Made exec() pure virtual for SyncActions, since that makes more sense
  than having an empty default action.
* kpilot/Makefile.am
  Added interactiveSync.cc to the list of sources.
* kpilot/pilotUser.h
  Squashed a buffer overflow. Squashed several buffer overflows. Yowk!
  This code has been around since 1996?
* kpilot/main-test.h
  Added some extra code to make the sync cleaner; handled the move of
  RestoreAction.