List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: mp3 decoder clicks?
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-20 17:45:04

#if Charles Samuels

> I think the main difference comes with the fact xmms can buffer much more
> than a second or two, while artsd can't.  That means that mpeglib has to keep
> up with the "smaller but more frequent" requests for data, and IDE is more
> cpu consuming, and possibly higher-latency.

IDE works much better with arts if you use DMA, the 'unmaskirq'
switch and 32-bit async transfers. Actually, the whole system works
more smoothly. Some day Linux will need to detect the IDE chipset
and if it's not a dodgy one, switch these things on by default.

Of course, despite having these three things switched on, a fast IDE
disk, a fast processor and a bog standard sound card, I still can't
avoid dropout when using arts (no, I'm not running it suid again because
last time it hung the machine), nor can I avoid it eating all CPU and
making X say that it's run out of clients when I use the ALSA driver.

But then that's my fault for using weird hardware: IDE disks, an Intel
processor, an ASUS motherboard and a SoundBlaster ;)

Rik