List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    arts filters
From:       degs <degs () giantblob ! com>
Date:       2001-07-20 13:39:56

Hi,

I'm trying to write some plug-ins for aRts and I have a couple of quick
questions.

The sort of things I had in mind to implement would be useful for recording
applications - e.g. EQ/filtering, compression (as in dynamic range reduction,
not data compression), distortion, modulation/delay effects etc. I've done a
bit of this sort of thing before in Windows and I know a bit about DSP but I
don't know much about aRts.

I realize arts includes some of this stuff already but it seems more aimed at
modular synthesis than the DAW sort of thing I'm thinking of.

My questions are:
- Is the plug-in API stable enough yet to make this viable now or should I
wait?
- what existing plug-in might be a good starting point as a template to copy,
i.e. is simple, up to date, uses the API correctly, and is a simple filter,
in that it takes a stereo stream of samples and produces a stereo sample
stream result.

Thanks,
degs