List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: gstreamer instead of mpeglib
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2001-04-01 22:15:46

   Hi!

On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 10:04:24PM +0200, Nikolas Zimmermann wrote:
> On Sunday 01 April 2001 21:51, Charles Samuels wrote:
> > I'll tell you why I oppose this.
> >
> > If we use gstreamer, gstreamer will be standard, GNOME will use gstreamer
> > instead of arts, and then eventually we're going to have to switch to
> _NO_!
> you are completly wrong, Charles
>
> i talked with one of the gstreamer core devs!
> they do _NOT_ wanna create their own soundserver...
> if they ie. need audio they paste it to esd/arts (in future)
> that dev also voted for aRts being the standard!
> so do _NOT_ mix them up

Note: aRts is NOT ONLY a sound server! Ok, artsd is, and artsd is based on
aRts, but aRts covers the whole range of modules processing media data,
communication between them, ipc, dynamic loading, language independance,
signal flow, modular synthesis, ...

So it does overlap in scope with what the gstreamer guys do, whether or not
it also is a sound server.

   Cu... Stefan