List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: gstreamer instead of mpeglib
From:       Nikolas Zimmermann <wildfox () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-01 20:04:24

On Sunday 01 April 2001 21:51, Charles Samuels wrote:
> I'll tell you why I oppose this.
>
> If we use gstreamer, gstreamer will be standard, GNOME will use gstreamer
> instead of arts, and then eventually we're going to have to switch to
_NO_!
you are completly wrong, Charles

i talked with one of the gstreamer core devs!
they do _NOT_ wanna create their own soundserver...
if they ie. need audio they paste it to esd/arts (in future)
that dev also voted for aRts being the standard!
so do _NOT_ mix them up

he also told me that gstreamer "just" handles the communication
within the plugins at all....
> gstreamer instead of arts, because of gnome's famed FUD-machine.
>
> And I do NOT want to switch to gstreamer, since aRts is clearly superior,
> and much better written.  Read: C++
>
> -Charles

Nikolas Zimmermann
wildfox@kde.org